Man to be charged with racial harassment of Ugo Monye


A 31-year-old man is to be charged with racially aggravated harassment of the former England international Ugo Monye.

Devon and Cornwall police confirmed on Monday that the man will appear before Exeter magistrates court on 24 July following an incident at Sandy Park after the Chiefs’ victory against Gloucester last November.

After the match Monye, a columnist for the Guardian and a TNT Sports pundit, posted details of the episode on social media. “Leaving Sandy Park and one supporter running through crowd starts shouting ‘Nigga, Nigga…’” he wrote. “Disgraceful. Not a single person said a word, challenged or even reported it.

“He walks off after a mild scuffle and fans are now telling me ‘We’re with you.’ BOLLOCKS you’re with me. You weren’t with me when you saw and heard the most blatant racism I’ve seen from a supporter at a live game. So fed up.”

At the time, Exeter apologised to Monye and said the incident had been caught on CCTV and passed on to Devon and Cornwall police.

“Angus Beukes, 31, has been summonsed to appear before Exeter magistrates’ court on 24 July, where he will be charged with racially/religiously aggravated harassment/alarm/distress by words/writing,” Devon and Cornwall police said in a statement. “The charge relates to an incident on Sunday November 19, 2023 in Sandy Park Way, Exeter.

skip past newsletter promotion

“We must now respect the court process and would ask that members of the public do not risk prejudicing these proceedings by speculating on social media.”



Source link